10 Common Violations in Commercial Inspections
- Are your exits unlocked and free of obstructions?
Exits should be unlocked and free of obstructions at all times while the building is occupied.
- Are your exit stairwells free of obstructions and storage materials?
Exit stairs shall be maintained free of all obstructions and/or impediments.
- Has your Fire Alarm and Fire Sprinkler system been inspected by a licensed contractor?
Your Fire Alarm system and Fire Sprinkler system are required to be inspected and certified by a licensed contractor at least once a year.
- Have your fire extinguishers been inspected by a licensed contractor this year?
Fire extinguishers are required to be tested and tagged annually by a licensed contractor.
- Are your emergency lights and exit signs visible and in proper working order?
Exit signs should be illuminated at all times.
Emergency lights should be tested periodically by pushing the test button.
- Are you using extension cords instead of having additional electrical outlets installed?
Extension cords and multi-plug adapters are not a replacement for permanent wiring.
Eliminate unsafe extension cord and/or multi-plug adapter use.
- Do you have any electrical wiring that is exposed or electrical boxes that are not covered?
Electrical boxes are required to be covered and access to electrical panels is to remain clear.
- Are flammable liquids stored in approved containers and/or cabinets?
All flammable liquids should be stored in approved containers and/or cabinets or in a designated outside storage area.
- Do you have combustibles stored too close to gas appliances or electric water heaters?
No combustible or flammable items are to be stored near gas appliances or electrical waters heaters.
- Is your address clearly marked in daylight and at night? Do your numbers face the road?
Address numbers should be clearly marked; contrasting with the background, and face the road.