Building and 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app
Permit Applications and Review
The Building Department intakes and issues permits for all types of development, including plan reviews by planning, environmental, structural, plumbing, mechanical, electric, floodplain, and fire.
Use the plan review matrix to see permit types, the various disciplines that review each permit type, and estimated turnaround times for permit submittals.
皇冠体育官方app体育官方app 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app Building Department is open but has a changed approach for services. Services will be provided, as indicated below, between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the Key Largo, Marathon, Stock Island, and Ocean Reef permitting offices.
A Drop-off and Pick-up System is in place for all offices, accepting all permitting related documents including permit applications, corrections, revisions, and post-issuance related items including but not limited to roof truss plan and permit clarifications. Face coverings are required for entry and 6-feet social distancing will be enforced.
Documents and payments (checks) can be mailed to the office where your permit is or would be reviewed by plans examiners:
- Key Largo: 102050 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037
- Marathon: 2798 Overseas Highway, Suite 300, Marathon, FL 33050
- Stock Island: 5503 College Road, Suite 203, Key West, FL 33040
- Ocean Reef: 11601 CR 905, Key Largo, FL 33037
Calculate the estimated amount of your payment using the fee estimator. If the fee amount you submit isn’t correct, it will be adjusted at permit issuance or you will be asked to mail in the difference.
Issuance of Approved Permit Applications
Pickup service is only available for authorized individuals who have replied to the permit-related 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app-generated email and provided the location and date they will be present for the pickup.
Boxes/envelopes for pickup will be identified with the name of the authorized individual, permit number, and pickup date provided; and placed in a clearly identified area inside each office/building for pickup.
For the safety of you and our inspectors:
- Please use electronic communication and social distancing before and during inspections. Inspectors will call the contact phone number associated with the permit prior to their arrival.
- Have plans ready and open to pertinent pages for all inspections to occur at the site.
- Forms and affidavits will NOT be accepted in the field.
- Inspectors may ask for plans, permit conditions, and/or permit cards, to be emailed to them in advance of the inspection.
- Inspectors may not sign permit cards.
- For items such as AC change-outs, size of the breaker in the panel, a photo may be requested by the inspector.
Flood Certification of Elevation
Floodplain Management Staff will continue to accept and review electronic copies of Under Construction Elevation Certificates and Final Elevation Certificates for all permits currently applied for or issued.
The documents must be provided EXACTLY as noted below:
- All documents must be LEGIBLY scanned in color and sent in PDF format.
- All signatures and handwritten dates must be LEGIBLE and in BLUE INK.
- For Final Elevation Certificates, any additional required documents (i.e. smart vent product approvals, etc.) must be scanned and attached as part of the submittal.
- All electronic submittals must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. A confirmation e-mail will be sent when the submittal is received.
- Once the applicant has e-mailed the submittal, the applicant must submit the physical copy of the elevation certificate to the 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app Building Department’s office via regular mail. THE ORIGINAL COPY OF THE FINAL ELEVATION CERTIFICATE WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE ON FILE PRIOR TO THE ISSUANCE OF ANY CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY.
皇冠体育官方app体育官方app staff will make every attempt possible to provide services as staff resources are available for permits with Elevation Certificate requirements.
6-Month Permit Extension Due to COVID-19
Governor DeSantis issued Executive Order Number 20-52 on March 9, 2020 declaring a state of emergency because of COVID-19 which allows the Building Official to extend Building Permits and the Planning Director to extend Development Orders.
All Building Permits and Development Orders active on March 9, 2020 are eligible to receive an additional 6 months to receive a passed inspection (once a passed inspection occurs then the permit would again be subject to the continuing 180-day passed inspection cycle.)
The permit holder is required to notify the county in writing (email is acceptable) and identify the specific permit/development order of their intent to exercise this extension within 90 days after the termination of the emergency declaration. The termination date will be forwarded once it is known.
Building Permits, for example, if the permit had an inspection due by April 2 (after March 9,) then the requirement to have that inspection would be extended 6 months to October 2.
Please send Building Permit extension requests to Sebben-Crystal@皇冠体育官方app体育官方app皇冠体育官方app体育官方app-FL.Gov or 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app Building Department, 102050 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037, Attn: Crystal Sebben – Permit Extension.
Certificate of Occupancy (CO)
Staff will contact permit holders who are ready to receive a CO via email.
Additional Information on 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app
Applying for a Permit
Prior to commencing construction, the contractor, owner, or builder must first apply to obtain a permit. Obtaining a permit may require the interaction and approval of several agencies outside of the Building Department; with small exceptions, each of these agencies charges fees for their review procedures. The Building Department works to coordinate the involvement of other agencies in the permitting process to obtain a building permit in the most expedient manner while maintaining the county’s high level of quality. This service is not a substitute for a customer’s responsibility to interact with all participating agencies.
皇冠体育官方app体育官方app Process for Sewer Tie-In
- 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app Procedures for Sewer Tie-In
- Florida Department of Health permitting Environmental Health and Onsite Sewage Programs
- State of Florida Construction of “public” (commercial) swimming pools
- Florida Department of Health details and application
Federal Rules for Renovating & Painting Older Buildings
The Environmental Protection Agency has rules regarding the renovation and repair of painted surfaces in buildings built prior to 1978 or in buildings with children. Contractors removing windows or painting must be certified and must follow certain safety procedures. These rules only require safety procedures, not testing or removing lead-based paint. Property managers and contractors can be fined $38,000 a day for violating these rules.
- Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
- Florida Department of Community Affairs
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- United States Army Corps of Engineers
The mission of the Building Department is to protect public health and safety, property, and the environment by providing an efficient, effective, and considerate permitting and code administration system, in accordance with the 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app Code and Florida statutes consistent with and furthering the 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app 皇冠体育官方app体育官方app Comprehensive Plan.